WHAT CAUSES A PINCHED NERVE?
A pinched nerve occurs when too much pressure is applied to a nerve by surrounding tissues.
These tissues include:
A number of conditions may cause tissues to compress a nerve or nerves such as:
- Poor posture
- Stress from repetitive job activities
- Hobby or sports activities
Pinched nerve signs and symptoms include:
- Numbness or decreased sensation in the area supplied by the nerve.
- Sharp or burning pain, which may radiate outward.
- When the pinched nerve comes from the spinal cord, coughing or sneezing may aggravate the pain.
- Tingling, "pins and needles" sensations (paresthesia).
- Muscle weakness or twitching in the affected area.
- Frequent feeling that a foot or hand has "fallen asleep."
- The problems related to a pinched nerve may be worse when you're sleeping.
A pinched nerve in East Providence RI, Pawtucket RI, Providence RI, or Central Falls RI. can occur anywhere in your body. A herniated disk in your lower spine, for example, may put pressure on a nerve root, causing pain that radiates down the back of your leg (sciatica). Likewise, a pinched nerve in your wrist can lead to pain and numbness in your hand and fingers (carpal tunnel syndrome).
WHEN TO SEE A CHIROPRACTOR?
See your doctor if the signs and symptoms of a pinched nerve last for several days and don't respond to self-care measures, such as rest and over-the-counter pain relievers.
If your pain persists for more than a couple of days, make an appointment with the doctors at the DeCrescenzo Chiropractic. After more specifically diagnosing the cause of your pinched nerve, the experienced doctors at DeCrescenzo Chiropractic will be able to develop a treatment plan specific to your needs.
INJURED IN A CAR ACCIDENT?
Most people only think about their automobile in an accident. Make sure you are truly "O.K." before you settle your case! Learn more...
HURT AT WORK?
It's important to understand that chiropractic care is covered by worker's compensation insurance, and is effective and cost-efficient. Learn more...
TREATMENTS WE OFFER
Learn more about the cutting-edge procedures used in our offices: